Knife Crime - managing the risk & delivering an effective intervention
Date & Time:
If this is a virtual course a link will be included in the confirmation email.
Following the workshop you will be required to complete an evaluation following which you will be able to download a certificate of attendance.
This new course has been designed for multi-agency safeguarding professionals to address the specific issue of tackling knife crime in Birmingham.
The course will illustrate how knife crime affects young people and is relevant to practitioners wanting to know more about managing risk of knife crime and delivering brief interventions to reduce risk.
Multi-agency safeguarding professionals working with vulnerable children, young people and their parent(s)/carer(s). The course is a practical course around developing practical intervention skills and is suitable for social workers, teachers, health professionals, youth workers, family support workers.
To provide delegates with the communication skills and practical strategies to effectively support families where substance misuse is an issue.
By the end of the session delegates will understand:
- To explore our own attitudes to knife crime
• To know key information on knife crime: the law, myths and facts
• To be able to conduct knife crime risk assessments for people who use our services
• To know interventions to address the risk of knife crime for people who use our services
• To know where to seek further help, advice and information
• To apply the learnings to practical case studies
BSCP Instructions to Delegates Attending Face to Face Training:
For our socially distanced face to face courses…
- Please follow social distancing guidelines when attending the venue and show consideration for your fellow delegates.
- If you would like to, feel free to wear a mask for your own protection. When doing so please make a conscious effort to communicate clearly when you are sharing in group discussions, and bear in mind that much of your natural facial expressions will be hidden from the Trainer and fellow delegates.
- Please note that refreshments will most likely NOT be available during these courses and so we encourage you to bring your flasks for hot drinks and snacks with you for breaktimes. As usual, it’s important to plan well if you want to leave the venue at lunch time to purchase food.
For our virtual courses…
- Virtual Courses will take place via Microsoft Teams and - to a lesser extent – Zoom.
- Please read the course information, confirmations and any follow up emails carefully during and after your booking process, and follow the instructions for receiving or locating the link to the course. Virtual courses have been re-designed from their usual face to face format, and so some alterations such as the requirement to complete pre-course work (in some instances) are in place for you.
- If your organisation allows it, Microsoft Teams should be downloaded on your device and you should know how to use it prior to training.
- For staff who cannot download Zoom (eg Birmingham Children’s Trust Staff), it will not be necessary to download the Zoom program in order to attend the virtual session.”
When joining a Zoom call:
- Join the call using a browser (internet explorer or Edge) – you must not download the Zoom software
- You must not transfer information to the group on the call (such as files etc.) via Zoom.
- If this is a new partner you are working with you may need to consider if attendees are required to complete a confidentiality agreement (this is separate from the use of Zoom etc.)
It is very important that if you book a place but later cannot attend that you cancel your place at least 14 days before the event date. This will enable the place to be offered to delegates on the waiting list and will avoid any non attendance charges being made to your organisation. Cancellation requests outside of 14 days should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org;
A link to join the meeting will be sent before the course start date. (Please note you should check your junk email if you have not received the link by the day before the course).