Working with Substance Misusing Parents
Date & Time:
Target Group: Level 3/Health 3
This course is relevant to all professionals including front line workers and supervisors who work with children, young people and/or their parents/carers. Those who could contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of a child and parenting capacity when there are child safeguarding concerns as a result of parents substance misuse.
To provide professionals with the knowledge and understanding to identify, assess and support families where there are child safeguarding concerns as a result of parent’s substance misuse.
- To understand about drugs and their effects on the individual
- To know the policy and legislative framework to working with children and families where there is substance misuse
- To know how to use screening and identification tools for substance misuse
- To know the research evidence about the impacts of substance use on children and families
- To know the research evidence on the protective factors for children from substance misuse
- To know how to assess the impacts of substance use on children and families
- To know about the treatment and testing that is available for substance misusers
- To know the SCR findings around substance misuse and child safeguarding